Clearing and Grading (STE) Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When Do I Need to Obtain a Clearing and Grading (STE) Permit?

A Clearing and Grading (STE)  Permit is required on a construction site when work involves coverage or replacement of over 2,000 square feet with an impervious surface such as asphalt, gravel or a building footprint, or requires filling or removing more than 50 cubic yards of soil on a site.

For most construction projects, and for virtually all single family home construction, these permits are submitted with the Building Permit or the subdivision approval process.

A Clearing and Grading (STE) Permit is also required when grading is done before the Building Permit is obtained, or when the construction does not require a Building Permit, but meets the above referenced thresholds (e.g. no structures are being built as is the case when constructing a parking lot).

How Do I Obtain a Clearing and Grading (STE) Permit?

The application and engineering drawings are reviewed for completeness and compliance with City Ordinances, Road Standards, Surface Water Management Standards, WSDOT/APWA Standard Plans and Specifications, King County Surface Water Design Manual (KCSWDM), and the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).

What Happens Next?

  • Drawings or plans not approved by the Engineering Review Division will be returned to the applicant for correction.
  • Before drawings or plans are approved by the Engineering Review Division, estimated costs of construction are calculated by the applicant using the latest edition of the Engineering Review Division's Bond Quantity Worksheet, and should be submitted to the division for verification using current construction costs. A current form can be obtained by clicking here.
  • Permit fees and bond amounts (bonds are calculated at 120% of the cost) are then calculated based upon the total estimated cost of construction per the City of SeaTac fee schedule. The applicant then pays permit fees and posts the bond. Bonds can be in the form of cash deposited to the City, a letter from a bank or lending institution setting aside or guaranteeing the bond amount or a paper bond purchased from an insuring agency. Fees will be based on the value of the work.

The City then issues the permit.

How Do I Check the Status of a Permit?

  • If you have either the permit case number, parcel address, or county assessor parcel number, go to the permit lookup web page, and you can find out your permit status. You are also welcome to call the Engineering Review Division at 206.973.4750 regarding permit status, or any other questions that you may have regarding your permit.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer