Development permitting is located on the third floor of City Hall with review staff and departments co-located for efficient service to development clients.
Our permitting system currently provides these popular attributes:
- Pre-application meetings with all relevant City departments. This group of technical staff guides potential applicants through the application process for their proposed development and advises on options to address site issues. Tuesday afternoon appointments available often within one week of inquiry.
- Information counter staffed 8:30 -4:30 Monday through Friday, with access to technical staff often without appointment.
- Experienced and motivated staff.
- Online building permit status.
The City is always evaluating and implementing improvements to deliver permits more quickly and with greater predictability for developers and builders, in an effort to offer the personal service and direct access to highly qualified technical staff.
Examples of some of these improvements include:
- Designation of a high-level staff person as project manager for all commercial projects exceeding 5000 square feet. This single point of contact for the developer will assure early coordinated and clear feedback to the applicant and will advocate for timely resolution of issues that arise.
- Confirmation of review time goals and publishing performance on meeting review times.
- Cross-training and certification for development counter staff to improve customer service on all types of permits.
Questions? Please contact the Building Division at 206.973.4750, or visit their website.