Permit Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For Permit and Land Use Application Forms  
Click Here:
Permits and Land Use Applications

Building Permits

Building Permits are required for any structure not specifically exempted within the Administrative Chapter of the Building Code(s). If a structure does not require a building permit, it still must meet the property line set back requirements.

Conditional Use Permits

Conditional Use Permits (CUP) are required for uses that may be permitted in a zone (but are not specifically identified in the code) if deemed to be compatible with uses allowed in the zone.

Site Review (Grading & Drainage)

Site (STE) Permits are required for onsite grading, paving and drainage activities within commercial developments outside the public right of way.

Electrical Permits

Electrical Permits are required for any work involving the transmission of high, meduim or low electrical voltages within an existing or new building. (Includes: Fire Alarm, Wireless Communication Facilities, Parking lot and Outdoor lighting, Vehicle Access Control)

SEPA Application

The State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requires review of certain projects for environmental impacts. Projects that are larger than set thresholds and projects affecting environmentally sensitive areas (such as wetlands, streams or steep slopes) must complete an environmental checklist as part of the development review process.

Fire Suppression Permits

Fire Suppression Permits are required for the installation of fire sprinkler or commercial hood suppression systems.

Fuel Storage Tank Permits

Fuel storage tanks permits are issued for the installation or removal of above ground or below ground fuel tanks.

Grading Permits

Site Permits are required for clearing/grading or filling activities exceeding 50 cubic yards of material.

Business License Application

Businesses proposed to be operated within a home must meet certain criteria to ensure the business is appropriate for a neighborhood (see SMC 15.17.020).

Lot Line Adjustment Application

Lot Line Adjustments (LLA) provide for the minor adjustment of boundary lines. The adjustments accommodate the transfer of land between two adjacent property owners provided that it does not result in the creation of any new lots, a substandard lot or a substandard yard or setback requirement.

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical Permits are required for the new installation and replacement of mechanical systems and their components.

Planned Unit Development Application

Planned Unit Developments (PUDs) allow for greater flexibility of development standards  than normally permitted by code, provided the project returns a public benefit.

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing Permits are required for the installation of plumbing systems and new fixtures.

Rezone Application

Rezones provide a change of the zoning for a parcel to allow a new or different land use that conforms with the City's Comprehensive Plan.

Right-of-Way Permits

Right-of-Way Permits are required for any work done within the public right-of- way (street) or within public easements.

Shoreline Development Application

A Shoreline Substantial Development Permit or a shoreline exemption is required for development within 200 feet of the ordinary high water mark of Angle Lake.

Short Plat Application

Short plats divide one parcel into 4 or fewer lots. The purpose is to divide land according to minimum standards including appropriate road and utility improvements.

Sign Permits

Sign Permits are issued for the installation of wall, monument or pole mounted signage.

Subdivision Application

Subdivisions divide one parcel into 5 or more lots. The purpose is to divide land according to minimum standards including appropriate road and utility improvements.

Temporary Use Permits

Temporary Use Permits regulate certain temporary uses of property such as seasonal produce stands or holiday tree sales lots.

Variance Application

Variances are requests for exceptions to the development standards of the Zoning Code. Exceptions could be needed because of special circumstances (such as size, shape or physical features of the lot) or when strict application of the Zoning Code deprives the property of the privileges enjoyed by other similar properties.