Hearing Examiner Appeal Procedures
Certain decisions or actions by the City may be appealed to the City Hearing Examiner. Any person adversely affected by the action or decision may file an appeal. The following is an overview of the appeal procedures. For additional information, see SMC 1.15, 1.20, or 16A.17.
- Types of Appeals
- How to Appeal
- The appeal may only be filed with the City Clerk and must include the required appeal fee which can be found in the City's fee schedule.
- The appeal must be on a form provided by the City Clerk. To Download the forms, including detailed appeal instructions, click on the above links.
- The appeal must be filed within 14 days from the date of the Notice and Order, Administrative Decision, SEPA determination, etc.
- Once the appeal is filed, a party may submit supplemental information up to 21 days after the appeal is filed (14 days for a SEPA appeal).
- Appeal Hearing
- The Appeal hearing before the Hearing Examiner will be set within approximately 45-90 days after filing the appeal.
- The appellant will be notified in writing of the hearing date at least 30 days prior to the hearing.
- If appellant notifies the City at least 14 days before the scheduled hearing, an automatic one-month (or as soon thereafter as possible) continuance shall be granted. This shall be granted only one time. After, 14 days, continuances shall be at the discretion of the Planning and Community Development Department.
- Hearing Examiner Decision
Within ten (10) days after the appeal hearing the Hearing Examiner will render a written decision on the appeal.